Skala Patent DE 3 502 842 & US Patent 4 714 000
The Braun piccolo has been on the market since 1985.
This instrument is used by a large number of leading soloists and orchestral flautists, and is currently considered one of the best piccolos in the world.
This instrument was commissioned by the flutist Michael Hasel (then new member of the Berliner Philharmoniker / chief conductor Herbert von Karajan) and built with his cooperation. It is designed for a relaxed and open playing style.
Entirely new calculations led to a particularly well-tuned instrument with only one C tone hole for the thumb key ("Briccialdi" thumb key).
The chief characteristics of Braun piccolos are:
- excellent intonation and tonal balance
- big, focused sound, especially in the low and middle registers
- easier response, especially in the difficult third octave
- the new scale makes (like on the big flute) the high G# facilitator no longer necessary.
Sound sample: Braun Piccolo Solo
Paul Stanhope: "Concerto for Piccolo Flute and Orchestra",
Dedicated to Andrew Macleod
Principal Piccolo of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
with the piccolo A. Braun #726
II.from Scherzo/Cadenza 2:54
More info: "Work Overview" »
Label: ABC Classics 481 0862 » iTunes Store
"Small flute" / piccolo flute down to low c¹
Is a conical Piccolo and has the same noted range as on the concert flute.
Scale protected by Patents: US 8 389 840 B2 & DE 10 2011 010 124 & DBGM 20 2010 016 134.7
It is a further development of the Braun Piccoli produced since 1985.
This instrument was developed on behalf of Rolf Bissinger (member of the Städt. Oper Frankfurt / Main) and with his cooperation. In the test phase, Prof.Michael Hasel was involved cooperatively, who played it at the Berliner Philharmoniker and gave valuable information about it.
The playing experience of the small flute is similar to that of a concert flute.
The chief characteristics of the "Small flute" , compared to the"Piccolo" are:
- Greater tonal volume and therefore also a more pleasant sound,
especially in the third octave.
- The tonal balance in all three registers is much better.
- Easier response/articulation, especially in the third octave.
- Much more special grips of the big flute are possible to use.
Cylindrical Piccolo / Piccolo flute down to low c¹
Looking for the best sounding C-foot Piccolo (already awaited by Th.Boehm) also a cylindrical variant was designed and built successfully.
- timbre / richness of tone
- tonal balance in all three registers and
- tonal integration in the orchestra / woodwind.
Sound sample: "small flute" in the Symphony Orchestra
Berliner Philharmoniker, Andris Nelsons
1:43 min. aus 2.Satz Allegretto
Berliner Philharmoniker, Sir Simon Rattle
1:31 min. aus 5.Satz Im Tempo des Scherzo
Sound samples: "small flute" Solo and with piano
Béla Bartók (1881-1945) Buciumeana
Robert Groslot(º1951) Schmooze 4:23
Excerpts from the CD "PSYCHOBIRD"
Peter Verhoyen - piccolo flute down to low c :A.Braun #854
Stefan DE Schepper-piano
Peter Verhoyen is principal piccolo at the Royal Flanders Philharmonic Orchestra
Vasile S. Jianu (1904-1968
Preludiu & Rigaudon (orig.for flute) 5:03
Vlad A.Colar - piccolo flute down to low c: A.Braun #967
Roxana Ardeleanu - piano (grand piano Steinway & Sons D-274)
• More Sound Samples
et al a Sonatina dedicated by the composer G. Mãlãncioiu to
Vlad A.Colaris Soloflute & Piccolo with the Banatul Philharmonie Orchestra in Timișoara
Stephen Hough (b.1961) "Un Piccolo Sonatina" for piccolo solo (2007)
3.Vivace molto ritmico 0:46
Excerpt from the CD "BROKEN BRANCHES"
Michael Hasel - piccolo flute down to low c :A.Braun #841
Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet
Specification for Braun Piccolos:
Grenadilla/African blackwood head and body:
- headjoint with "A.Braun" modified-wave embouchure which is smooth where the lips touch
- 925 sterling-silver mechanism
- with split E mechanism (without split E mechanism is not made!)
- fitted with "A. Braun" silicon piccolo pads
Headjoint with modified-wave embouchure.
The basis for the exceptional quality of Braun wooden flutes and piccolos is the selection of high-grade woods.Thus only carefully-selected, well-seasoned, extremely close-grained and attractive black African grenadilla/African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon) with excellent tonal qualities is used.
A. Braun pads for piccolo
The new construction of the pad creates:
- a quick, powerful, clear response
- a particularly well-structured and beautiful sound
- a very pleasant feel
- reliability of the padding as a result of the insensitivity to moisture and stable shape of the silicon-rubber layer
- long period of usage without adjustment
Special models, such as instruments with gold-plated mechanism , open G-sharp key or other customised features can be planned and manufactured.
Piccolo with open G-sharp
Piccolo with open G-sharp and with inverted B-Bb thumb lever
Flutes and piccolos can be supplied with scales at the following pitches: a' = 440 Hz or 442 Hz or 444 Hz
The basic pitch facilitates unproblematic playing within a ± 2Hz range, according to personal playing style.
Within a year of purchase, the instrument supplied will upon request be customised to suit the individual's personal playing style. Leather case with a padded cover.